Did you know all silver fillings (also called amalgam fillings) contain about 50% mercury? Did you also know mercury is a highly toxic element? In fact, there is no known safe level of mercury exposure.Here in the United States, silver fillings are incredibly commonplace and have been used to restore the teeth of more than 100 million Americans. Yet time and time again, research shows that silver dental fillings expose you to the harmful effects of mercury.
WHAT ARE SILVER FILLINGS?
Although the name implies that the filling is made out of silver, in reality it only has about 32% of this material. Like we mentioned at the beginning of this post, the majority of a silver filling (50%) is actually mercury. Your filling also has trace amounts of tin, copper, and zinc.When mixed together, these components create a hard and durable material called amalgam. This dental amalgam is filled into decaying teeth (often those with cavities) to help strengthen them and prevent their removal.
WHY IS MERCURY USED IN FILLINGS?
Mercury has been used in fillings since the 19th century, but has faced controversy since the beginning.Shortly after the invention of amalgam, numerous harmful effects were widely reported. Mercury poisoning became a top concern and many dentists vowed to stop using the material. However, the majority of dentists throughout the US continued to use amalgam fillings because they were much cheaper, faster, and easier to place than traditional gold materials.
Flash forward to today and amalgam fillings have been placed in the mouths of over 100 million Americans. Meanwhile, countries like Sweden, Norway, and Denmark have banned or restricted the use of amalgam fillings due to its proven toxic and poisonous effects.
HOW MERCURY FILLINGS POISON YOUR BODY
If you have a silver filling, every time you chew a small amount of mercury from your filling (about 2-20 micrograms a day) is released into your body.Chewing gum is especially problematic as it releases an even greater amount of mercury into your system. An increase in temperature in your mouth, for instance when you drink hot coffee or tea, will also encourages the release of mercury vapors in your mouth.
THE DANGERS OF MERCURY FILLINGS
The effects of mercury-laden fillings are scary. These fillings are one of the top contributing causes to mercury poisoning. This can cause a wide range of problems, including tremors, insomnia, headaches, nerve damage, kidney problems, and respiratory failure.In one recent study by the University of Washington, researchers found that the low-level release of mercury toxins into the body from a dental tooth filling can lead to long-term brain damage.
Mercury is poisonous to your body and it definitely should not be in your mouth.
HOW TO DETOX YOUR BODY FAST OF MERCURY
The most effective and inexpensive way to detox your body is to take spirulina. According to many recent scientific studies, spirulina helps support healthy detoxification of built up toxins from the body by binding to them. Thus, these toxins are carried out of the body through natural processes of elimination.